Saturday 6 June 2015

Never Underestimate a Bird Brain


I had a busy morning today, I taught English and then had a photo shoot along the river. When I got home, even though I had food in my flat, I decided to go to Subway and buy a sandwich. One of my jobs is managing holiday homes, I always warn guests not to eat by the river, the kites are very brave and often steal food out of peoples hands.  Although one of my friends was scratched, usually the robberies are perfectly executed.
 
I do not have to follow my own advice, I know the ways of the birds. I go to the river everyday. I know how each bird flies and have successfully taken many bird pictures. So I took my lunch to the river.
 
I checked high in the sky, there were no kites flying in a holding pattern, like planes above Heathrow Airport. I checked the North and South nothing. I confidently took out my sandwich and started to unwrap it.  There was a swoosh and my vision was full of brown feathers. A popping sound, talons ripped through paper into the bread.  And it was gone, flying over the river, with my sandwich  hanging from its legs!
 
I do not begrudge the sandwich or the money. I have never been so close to a kite and to be out witted by it is wonderful. It just strengthens my respect for nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment