Tuesday 30 June 2015

河合: Kawai a Beautiful Little Shrine


Today I decided to visit Shimogamo Shrine, one of Kyoto's oldest and most important Shinto Shrines. In the grounds I found a sub-shrine that I did not know. I tried to read the discription, but the Japanese was too difficult, but I could understand it was for women and the number one in Japan. On returning home I did some research;  the shrine's name is Kawai Jinja and is dedicated to feminine beauty. It is the shrine of the Goddess Tamayori-Hime 玉依毘売命 the daughter of the sea dragon god Watasumi  綿津見. Women who wish to be more beautiful visit the shrine and buy a mirror shaped wooden talisman. There is a basic face printed on the talisman, but it is further decorated by the owner. They are then left on a special rack and then Tamayori-Hime will bestow the gift of beauty on that woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment