Monday 25 August 2014

Evangelism in Kyoto


Religion seems to have little importance in modern Japanese life, the majority of Japanese people are not very religious, but that does not mean that there are not those who would like to change that. I think most Japanese people living in the large cities and definitely the expat community would have no problem recognising the two cyclists above. Their helmets, white shirts and black trousers, show them to be American Mormons. I have never knowingly met a Japanese Mormon, but on many occasions been stopped by American Mormons. They speak politely and dress politely, but for me that is where the politeness finishes. They seem to have no care for Japan's Buddhist and Shinto traditions or history. They are here only to convert people, to change people and to indoctrinate. They often attract people by giving free English lessons. But basically I feel sorry for them, these young people have travelled thousands of miles to a completely different culture, but miss out on the vibrant and colourful experiences that could enrich their lives.

Jehovah's Witnesses are much more common in Japan than Mormons, and all I have met are Japanese. To be honest when I was a young man living in Birmingham, I used to enjoy arguing with Jehovah's Witnesses. But one day I realised these discussions only made their beliefs stronger and mine stronger.  This was making me not question my own beliefs, just justify them, it was stopping me from spiritually growing. I believe to inwardly look at your own spirituality critically, finding both the good and the bad, is far better than challenging another persons religious beliefs.  I do not know how many Jehovah's witnesses there are in Japan, but I seem to be visited just as often as I was in England.

A homegrown evangelical religion is Soka Gakai 創価学会、 originally a lay group connected to Nichiren Buddhism, that developed into a new evangelical Buddhist movement. It's charismatic leader Daisaku Ikeda says they now have 12 million members in 192 countries. For a number of years I lived close to their Kansai region meeting house. I was often politely asked to come to their meetings and politely asked to read their literature.

Politeness and friendliness, seem to be the tools of the evangelist, but to my way of thinking it is only a smoke screen. in reality they are extremely rude people with no care for others beliefs. When I was about twenty, I searched for a Wiccan coven in my hometown.  I expected to be taken in with open arms, but the High Priest of the coven, rather gruffly said " you are too young, you do not know enough, learn about other religions and get some experience in life". Not very polite, but priceless spiritual advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment