Sunday 16 February 2014

What do you see in the Moon?


In the Kyoto sky tonight you can see a big beautiful Moon.  Like all Wiccans the moon is very important to me. But the Moon is important for everyone, most people like to look at the Moon. In every culture there are myths about the moon.  In Europe the myth of the Man in the Moon is a popular thing for mothers to tell their Children.  My Mother told me when I was a child, if I looked carefully I could see the man's face.  I tried, but could only vaguely see it.  In my twenties when I became a Wiccan and learnt about the Moon Goddess I was quickly able to see her face in the Moon. I think the Man in the Moon is just a Patriarchal distortion of the real Goddess story. I can still see her face here in Japan, if I concentrate, but another image naturally pops up.  Japanese people see a rabbit, at first I could not see it, but eventually I could and now it is easy to see. I do not know if there is any meaning to it, but naturally I think of fertility, which is the rabbits western meaning.  I have heard that Chinese people see a dragon, I have never seen it, but I hope to one day. What do you see in the Moon?





No comments:

Post a Comment