Monday 9 November 2015

近畿の五芒星:In search of the Kinki Pentagram



First I should point out that Kinki is a region in Japan. It is the region where I live, an area full of history and mystery. Recently I found a map of Kinki with a pentagram drawn on it connecting sacred places. As yet I do not know the full meaning, but I intend to visit all of the shrines and find out what I can. I showed my Japanese teacher and she was as surprised as me. But she could give me the names of all the shrines.  I will list the names of the shrines on the pentagram's points going clockwise from the bottom.

  1. 熊野本宮大社  Kumano Hongu Taisha 熊野本宮大社
  2. 伊弉諾神宮 Isanagi Jingu                        Izanagi Shrine
  3. 元伊勢 Moto Ise                                     元伊勢  Japanese only
  4. 伊吹山 Mount Hibuki           伊吹山
  5. 伊勢神宮 Ise Jingu             伊勢神宮
In the centre is Nara, the ancient capital of Japan. After Nara, Kyoto became the capital of Japan. It is situated where the two upwardly pointed points meet. So I imagine these sacred places are protecting the capitals. When I know more, I will write more. But I have to say it feels very cool living in a pentagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment