Wednesday 24 December 2014

Public Scupture of Women and Children in Hiroshima’s Peace Park

 
For the last few days I have been in Hiroshima, it is my second visit, but the first was over 15 years ago. On the first day of my trip I re-visited the atomic bomb museum.  It is the most shocking place I have ever visited and even though it was my second time it was equally disturbing to know how evil MAN can be.  The museum is in the grounds of the Peace Park. The park is a truly beautiful place and seems to me to have a unique atmosphere, I do not know of an adjective to describe it, a mix of deep sorrow and unbridled hope.  What I had not noticed all those years ago was the amount of sculpture of women and children. I do not know if this is truly unique, but in this patriarchal world where sculptures of men are ubiquitous in public spaces, the predominance of images of women here is very unusual. 
 
 
 
I am not going to write the stories behind these sculptures here, if you are interested they are easy to find on the Internet. I am trying to capture their essence and feeling. But that is very difficult to do with the camera, so I highly recommend anyone to come and visit this amazing place and it's horrific neighbour.
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment